Tuesday, June 7, 2011

A Little Experiment…

One day after taking one too many phone calls while sitting in a tight, poorly lit cubicle…I was in desperate need of some fresh air. Luckily, my lunch break was right around the corner, so I decided to make a completely random trip to Target. I figured it would be an awesome way to stretch my legs and clear my head.

Somehow I ended up in the book aisle. I say “somehow” because I usually buy books at a local secondhand book store or online. But I had some time to kill, so I drifted to the book section. And I happened to creep upon The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. The book is basically about how one woman, the author, creates and participates in a project designed to make her happier. She is not clinically depressed. She is just a bogged down by everyday life. So she takes small measures to improve her overall happiness, such as exercising, making time for her friends, and even buying a little happiness. Within reading the first few pages, I related to this woman because lately, I have also been having this suffocating feeling of “Is this it?”  I'm not "unhappy,"  but every so often I do have feelings of dissatisfaction.

I wanted to keep reading it, so naturally I purchased the book (it was 20% off, yay!!) as well as some bowls and cups (even more random, I know). While reading the book, I felt inspired to start my own happiness project. Like Rubin, I will begin by writing out a set of personal commandments, and then eventually move on to monthly tasks/experiments to improve my happiness. Here goes nothing…

1. Be Jasmine
2. Loosen up a little
3. Be nice, even when I don’t feel like it
4. Don’t take it personal
5. Don’t wait until the last minute
6. It’s okay to put myself first sometimes
7. Don’t be so hard on myself
8. Double-check my attitude and my ego
9. Listen, then speak
10. Forgive and move on

Feel free to mention any principles, you live by…

Ms. Jas

No comments:

Post a Comment