Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Do Black-Owned Businesses Get a Pass?


As a child, my mother instilled in me the importance of supporting local businesses in my community. We were always giving our support to black-owned businesses and healthcare providers. As a result of what my mother instilled in me…whenever I can, I support black-owned businesses.

Recently, I have had some not-so-great and down right horrible experiences with a few local black-owned and operated businesses which have led me to ask this question, “Do black-owned businesses get a pass?” After being a regular supporter of black-owned businesses for many years, I noticed that we have a tendency to “put up” with some stuff that we normally wouldn’t accept at maybe a larger chain, like poor customer service. Now before I continue, let me say I know that there are a lot more black-owned businesses that offer quality products and superb customer service. However, they are several businesses that offer equally bad service, yet remain open and successful.

For example, I went to a well-known soul food restaurant in the Houston area. I love soul food, but I don’t usually cook it. I surveyed my friends on what were the best soul food restaurants in town and this name popped up a few times. I arrived to the restaurant in a pleasant mood and eager to try the Texas version of soul food. What I received was one of the most horrible customer experiences ever from the server and the cashier and some alright food. Even though the food was just “okay” and the service was even worse, the line continued to grow. When I told a friend who also recommended the restaurant about my experience, she told me I would just have to “put up” with it because the food was just that good. Well it wasn’t that damn good and I haven’t been back since.

More recently I attended a fashion show…and once again I was super excited because I love clothes and I’m always looking for something different, so I can say “You ain’t got des.” The doors opened at 7pm and we arrived at 8:30pm. The bar and the food remained closed until the show started almost an hour after we arrived. The only seats that were available were pool chairs that were “VIP,” so by the end of the evening my butt was numb from sitting on a stone wall. And the designs were poorly sewn with jacked-up hem lines. Despite these factors, the fashion show attracted a large crowd. I was so disappointed I left during the intermission and I was not only asking the above question, but I also wondered aloud, “Just because you stitch fur on a metallic gold bikini, does it make it an original design?”

I have even worked for black-owned organizations where employees and volunteers repeatedly complained about their treatment, yet returned year after year to help keep the business alive for over 20 years. They were willing to overlook some poor business practices to move the cause forward.

I am in favor of black economic growth. I want to see my people achieve the wonderful heights that I know we are more than capable of ascending to. However, don’t expect me to lower my standards just because you’re my “brother’ or “sister.” When you expect more, you get more…a statement that applies to many facets of life. If these same businesses improved upon simple practices, imagine how much more successful they would be. It’s difficult to own and operate a business regardless of your race or skin color, but like most things in life…it’s a little more difficult for people of color.

What do you think? Do we tend to overlook certain undesirable practices in the name of solidarity? Has anyone had a similar experience to those mentioned?

Ms. Jas





No comments:

Post a Comment